The Expatriate Experience

Here I blog my summer '06, where I with only one week's preparation went off to a foregin land to work and live.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

T minus four days

Looks like I'll be getting on the 22:15 from Helsinki and landing five minutes earlier in Stockholm, monday, May 22nd. I've still got the funding for the first month to make the final arrangement on, for a sum of about 6000SEK; about 640€. I'll unavoidably have to loan a bit of the money but fortunately not for a long time.

I'll be working at Stockholms Entrepenad, gardening. Hopefully I'll manage to get weatherbitten during sunny summer days instead of soaked to the marrow in endless rain. But this punk does feel lucky. I think I'm on the beginning of a long roll.

Tomorrow at dawn I'll be getting on a train to Helsinki where I'll visit a market to see what fifth-hand useful gear I can pick up. Then I'll be getting on another train for a 450km trip North-North West to Vasa, where I need to pack my stuff so that they're easily transported back South on the 27th by my bro and dad. I've been living with my bro in a rented apartment up there for the past two years and this summer we're both moving out, the weekend after I've already left for Stockholm (henceforth known as Sthlm
). Dad is as per usual helping with the move.

...Aaand I just got off the phone with my uncle who's been living in Sweden for the past 40 years. He'll pick me up from the airport, and I can sleep over at their place the first night. Then he'll drive me into Sthlm, where he too works. Smooth.
Now I just need to hurry up and remember what important details I'm forgetting.

This expat signs out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home