The Expatriate Experience

Here I blog my summer '06, where I with only one week's preparation went off to a foregin land to work and live.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Retro-vision: Day One

Finally over. I've done so much walking I at times felt my knees were going to explode into a gooy mess on the sidewalk, manifest the corporal form of anger and attack me with switchblades. But the essentials are at least taken care of. I've got a roof over my head, but I estimate that roof to be approximately two millimeters thick plastic. Same with the walls. These are barracs converted into corridors; where a whole bunch of us live down a long corridor and share kitchen, showers and laundry machines. Towards the summer there'll almost entirely us Nordjobbers here, which means we can pretty much do as we like. Provided we get along.

When I first saw this dump I immediately thought "Hell no" followed by trying to get the gods to tell me it's the wrong place. But I actually knew when I saw it. This is where I'll be staying for the summer. My vehemt complains amounted to formailty.
Then again, when I first saw the place I was dead tired. Now I've had the time to rest, talk with a few people here and take a shower that felt like being licked clean by silver tounged cherubs... and obviously my opinion has changed as a result. I now see the different possibilites, each holding vastly more value to me than all the problems. A bit of touching-up, something on the walls and the floor, and this place'll be just fine. Hopefully I'll be able to get authorization for the wireless network here, and then, with the world once again at my figertips I should be quite happy.
The previous resident who I estimate to have left in early April left behind a pair of those cheap plastic speakers you get with a new package PC, so I hooked up my MP3 player to it and now I've got sweet, sweet musak massaging my audiotory nerves. This previous resident, named Jing Ni, probably from China, left behind a bunch of other things too. These things include two pieces of mail (which I haven't decided what to do with yet), a book written with his native language, a bunch of magazines (no pr0n - checked), these stickers that give off various scents when scratched (they'll be fun), a bag of candy (For me? Edible?), and alas, a whole bunch of dirt and dust.

The place should have been clean when I moved in. That's the way it works. - When you move out, you clean the place up. - But he (or she, come to think of it, hence lack of pr0n) might have left in a hurry. (Maybe the book is pr0n...? I hear chicks prefer something left to the imagination.) I kinda get that impression.
Either way, (Or maybe he had a laptop like me.) I'm gonna ask to have the cost of cleaning the place up deducted from my rent. (Not that I have pr0n on mine. *Cough*) This is resonable, and as far as I know standard practice in Finland. My uncle is very kindly bringing me some cleaning supplies tomorro afternoon so I can fix the place up. Then I'm thinking... pastelles. (Spot the quote!)

I won't be able to post this until tomorrow at the earliest. Oh, right. I forgot about the plane ride. I've got lots of pictures of that too. Gotta post-process a bit...(And stop using so many parenthesii.)

It's 22:20 Sthlm local time. Started raining heavily again. Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home