The Expatriate Experience

Here I blog my summer '06, where I with only one week's preparation went off to a foregin land to work and live.

Monday, June 19, 2006

What a weekend

I have a hole in my shin the size of my thumbnail. The hole is sewn shut with I think three stitches. "Why?" you ask? Elementary, my dear Watson! - I fscked up. On a really simple thing too, which makes me feel as dumb as the shadow of half a rock...

On Saturday's Parkour jam I decided to photograph instead of participate. The jam was the stuff of legends and consequently on the jam on the day after I was really psyched about the whole thing. I was well-prepared and full of energy. And before we even get started I decided I was going to hop up with both my feet simultaneously on a ledge a bit higher than my waist.
It's probably no suprise; I bail. I screw up. My toes slip from the ledge and I crash down on the stone ledge with both my shins. This of course is painful, but not more painful than I'm used to so I think I just managed to scratch some skin off. I sit up on the same ledge and when I'm about to check for damage I notice the right leg of my pant has big spots of blood on it. Roll it up and violá; I can see what I think is bone through a deep hole the size of my thumbnail.

After the gang has taken a good look and everybody has confirmed I won't be participating today either plans are drawn up for getting me to a hospital to get it sew shut. Luckily for me a 'new' guy has got band-aid with him, so I slap on a full length of about 15cm of it, as no one brought scissors.
While this is happening we work out the theory that my right shin probably hit the ledge where two pieces of stone meet and form sharp corners on each side of the space between them. My shin probably got punctured by one of them.

Finally we work out that the nearest hospital is Södermalm and that it's easily reachable by the subway followed by the bus. A guy called Caspian from the gang kindly offers to take me there, and off we go. - Shouldn't travel alone when one's injured like this.

After having asked a security guard for directions we find the bus station, and luckily again the bus is quick to arrive. We go straight to the hospital and the ER. The sign-in is relatively easy since I just happen to have exactly the cards I need to get med-care for 'free' and then I'm off to the... waiting room.

After a while a nurse arrives and I show her my boo-boo. When she asks how I accomplished it I explain to her what Le Parkour is. She tells me she's seen it on TV and that it looks dangerous. I find myself agreeing with her. She runs off with the papers I got at sign-in.

I wait some more and a male nurse arrives and leads me to an op-room. He fetches a bed for me to lie on. A third nurse arrives and carts me out of the op-room and into a waiting booth. She bandages the wound and I explain to her too what Le Parkour is. She hasn't seen it on TV. She tells me the M.D. will be with me soon.

I wait.

I wait more.

More!!

I eventually start falling asleep and like a charm the M.D. arrives. I explain to him what Le Parkour is. He and the nurse cart me back to the same op-room I was in before and soon he's injecting painkillers around the wound and begins cleaning it. I find it funny I can still feel temperature while I can't feel anything else around the wound. He tells me that's because it's different nerves that deliver that info. (Can't figure out how or why they'd develop a selective painkiller for that though.) Soon he's sewing it shut and I lean to the side to try to watch. I really can't feel a thing even as he pierces the skin with the needle and pulls on it.
Throughout the whole ordeal the pain has been minimal too. It just hurt for short while just after I injured myself. After that the worse pain was when I pulled the band-aid off my hairy leg.

Plaster on, the M.D. disappears for a short while and returns with a recepy for painkillers. He tells me to wait in the op-room where someone's supposed to bring the pills.
Half an hour of WAITING later a nurse arrives and asks if a doc has already looked at me, hinting at the blood on the leg of my pant. I tell her I'm supposed to wait for some pills. She looks at my recepy and says that she thinks I should go get it at the pharamacy instead. I have the breif thought that doing that would probably cost me money, so I just basically say "the doctor told me so".
She runs off somewhere to look for the doctor. I decide I'm fed up with waiting and promptly split.

At the pharmacy I find out that the painkillers will indeed cost me money in spite of the recepy. And since my economy is next to extinct I'm left without pills. But it doesn't hurt to bad so I take the subway to the closest station and walk home. At home I take 400mg ibuprofen, which is the last pill I have.


Today I've switched the patch on the wound and there's still a bit of blood and plasma seeping out, but I think it'll close shut proper tonight. I didn't go to work today even if the M.D. told me when I asked that I probably could. It didn't feel right. I doubt he realized how much I move around at work, come to think of it...

Oh well. Pics from last Saturday on their way. I shot more than just Parkour that day. And I have some stuff from today to write about too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home