The Expatriate Experience

Here I blog my summer '06, where I with only one week's preparation went off to a foregin land to work and live.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Nicotine

About a week or two ago I had the unusually dumb idea that one could, hypthetically, build up to start smoking by chewing nicotine gum. People use it to quit smoking so I, genius, determined that the process should also work in reverse.

It was funny at the time. We giggled a bit.
Now I did it.

Well, I didn't start smoking. I just bought the gum to try to find out why the heck people smoke in the first place, and maybe why they have such a difficult time quitting. It was cheap; only 25SEK, as compared to what, 80SEK for the stuff you get at the pharmacy? But cheap didn't mean it was any less potent. Having taken a handfull of bites into the gum I suddenly feel my brain shift down a gear. Stray suface thoughts ripple and dissipate, and I become more aware of my surroundings. The sound environment suddenly stands out for me, and I'm even aware of the silence inbetween the noises...
A very odd feeling, and I now realize how very potent a drug nicotine is; and how it works as a neural toxin. That people become addicted to the stuff is no longer a mystery, and a veil to the smoking culture has been lifted from my eyes.

I'm not addicted, of course, but I do feel that now at least I have a small right to even express vague opinions about addiction. People who scream bloody murder about the use of every drug on the planet but never even tried anything have always been the subject of my contempt. In my eyes it's like philistines critiquing abstract art, or butchers giving advice on how to perform brain surgery.
One needs to know what one is talking about. Now I can honestly say that nicotine has a use, and could be used for self-medication, but smoking a pack a day is comparabe to drug abuse. Use, and abuse. Two very diffrent things.

Expat out

4 Comments:

Blogger Blogger said...

In spite of health risks, majority of smokers find it so difficult to quit, foremost, because all of addiction to the nicotine contained in tobacco products.

Nicotine has a deadly addictive power. Regardless of the understanding that smoking habit is killing, addiction to the nicotine incite smoker to light up a cigarette, and, after some time, another one. A person who attempts to quit may experience a lot of withdrawal symptoms. Depression, headache, dizziness, cough, fatigue, insomnia and whatever smoker's brain can contrive to the smoker's body and mood to force smoker to light up new cigarette. Smokers find themselves reaching for a cigarette and lighting it up automatically without even thinking about it.

Smoker must have the will power to overcome the craving for smoke. Smokers must understand that to quit smoking may take more than one attempt. It is hard to quit smoking, but with will power and a strategy, quit smoking is not out of the question.

Read more quit smoking tips and stop smoking advice inside Quit Smoking Pro Blog - http://quitsmokingpro.com/.

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kia hälsar. Nu skall vi se om den tar emot min kommentar

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Har läst din blogg några gånger och lyckas nu först med att meddela mig.
Roligt att veta lite om hur du har det där i Stockholm.
Hur fortskrider dina studier i japanska? Timos brorspojke Eppu har också lärt sig en hel del japanska och drömmer om att göra en resa dit.
Här har skolorna ju börjat och vi är tillbaks på jobb. Min studieledighet är slut, men en del studier återstår ännu. Sköt om dej. Vi hörs. kia

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way. Har du haft nånting roligt för dej när du inte har hunnit blogga mellan 26 juli och 13 augusti??
Hälsar Kia

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home